Thursday 26 February 2009

Bargain Knitting - A Tam and a Scarflette for £1.65!!!!!

The first challenge! A lovely 100gm ball of pea green Hayfield Bonus DK. 100% acrylic, but surprisingly soft. Cost - £1.65. This yarn screamed Tam at me, so I had a look online for free patterns and came up with a wonderful wonderful site http://www.woollywormhead.com/, where I found a lovely pattern for a hat called the "meret".



This is the finished article. I made the medium size hat with smaller needles than called for in the pattern, (I used 4mms). I didn't knit in the round as suggested because it was a little too tight ...probably because of the needle downsize ;-)


I stitched some vintage buttons onto the front ...I'm in LOVE with them!



...then - and this is the best bit - I had enough yarn over to knit a scarflette. It's what I call an "organic" design, i.e. I made it up as I went along, and I'm really happy with the finished effect.
Another vintage button to secure the scarflette round my neck.


Pea green isn't to everyone's taste admitedly, but I adore my little duo and I recieved plenty of compliments when I took them for their first outing.
A hat and a scarflette for £1.65. I'm starting to like my little challenge :-)

1 comment: