Monday 11 May 2009

Poppy Cakes

A week or so after Poppy was born, I had a couple of peeps over my place for tea and cupcakes. Poppy was conceived on the same day that my folks planted their first crop of carrots so I decided to make carrot poppyseed cupcakes in her honour.
I took the recipe from Maxine Clark's wonderful book, Comfort Food. Her recipe for carrot cake is the best I've ever come across, full of carrots, poppy seeds and pineapple. Just writing about it makes me want to cook up a batch.
The poppy's I improvised as I went along. I rolled out marzipan, cut out poppy shapes and painted them in three coats of red food colouring. Then I painted them with red icing and topped them off with some liquorice. The leaves were made in the same way but with green food colouring.

1 comment:

  1. Those are gorgeous Dulcie! Almost too pretty to eat!! :=)

    ReplyDelete