Monday 11 May 2009

Baby Boom - Dr Zeuss Cot Blanket

I finished this in December 08 and I can only just bring myself to look at it now. Me and my sis Clo used to love the Dr. Zeuss books and at age 9 (or thereabouts), Clo reproduced the front cover of One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish, which Ma framed and hung pride of place in the dining room.

So when Clo announced that she was "with sprog", I thought I'd knit up a Dr Zeuss cot blanket. Designing it was the fun bit, I love graph paper and coloured pencils. But knitting it!!! Oh the pain!!! Apart from the fact that I'd never attempted intarsia before (check out all the scruffy outlines) I used 2mm circs and somehow managed to create a mobius twist so I had to steak the darn thing a quarter of the way through.

Then we come to the choice of yarn. I decided to buy online and couldn't for love nor money find a decent yellow. Why is yellow yarn so difficult to find? I ended up buying cones of machine knitting cotton. I hand knit with MACHINE KNITTING COTTON, I must be crazy, it was so thin I found it near impossible to get a good tension.

It took near enough two solid months to complete, I backed it with a cute blue and white polka dot fabric and gifted it to Clo for Christmas.

I quite like it now five months later, but never ever ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment